Everyone likes to look beautiful and be admired by others. Beauty and women are inseparable. Since time immemorial women and girls have done and tried almost everything possible to look more beautiful.
Natural Beauty Products
Until recently, the humans took their beauty products from Nature. Most of the natural skincare products, hair care products, soaps and make up items were homemade using items freely available from Mother Nature. It was the time of natural cosmetics or organic cosmetics.
From Natural and Organic to Chemical Beauty Products
Other Natural Remedies:
It is only in the last few decades that the things have changed. Instead of organic beauty products we rely more on chemical cosmetic products for all kind of needs such as hair care, skin care, make up and facial treatments. Similarly gone are the days when kitchen used to provide all the beauty supplies and these were made fresh – just before the use. Your home used to be the beauty salon where only organic cosmetics were used. Now there are well known multinational cosmetic companies which have huge factories churning out packaged products ranging from special care to daily need for hair care, skincare, toiletries, shampoos, conditioners, bubble baths, lotions, creams, moisturizers and the list is endless.
Included in this shift of beauty practices is now the concept of specialists and their facilities which we call as Cosmetologist, Hair Stylist, Beautician, Reflexology Specialist, Masseur etc. who operate out of Spa, Beauty Salon, Skin Clinic, Cosmetic Shop etc.
How to Save Money and Time and look beautiful
Don’t you sometime wish that you could save money by avoiding expensive cosmetics or un-affordable beauty packages and treatments? Perhaps you shell out a lot more money when buying organic cosmetics such as natural skincare or hair care products ! Also the packages at any beauty salon goes up significantly when you opt for organic cosmetics. Don’t you sometimes wish to avoid harsh chemicals which may be harming your hair or skin and go instead with simple organic ingredients for masks and conditioners to look beautiful?
The solution is within reach
Who says you have to depend on chemical products to look beautiful. Neither you have to spend a fortune on high-priced organic beauty products to reap the benefits of natural ingredients?
Some of the finest all natural makeup items, cosmetic products and beauty remedies can be made at home using basic items you probably already have in your kitchen. All you need is a a few recipes, knowledge of some of the items in your kitchen to use them as ingredients, and in a matter of few minutes you may best natural and organic beauty products ready for use.
The products and some recipes given below have been used for years all over the world maintain to help women look beautiful the natural way. By all means it is healthy to use them even today. You may either read the blog article in full or jump to a particular section by clicking on the links below:
Now let’s check out these time-tested ingredients.
Natural Beauty Products from Kitchen
World over, almost everyone is familiar with cucumber. Not only is cucumber a great ingredient in salads, but it has a number of uses as a natural beauty product ingredient due to Vitamin K, C and manganese and beta-carotene present in it. Let us check out the specific ways it is a key ingredient for a long-lasting natural beauty benefits:
Cucumber gives glowing skin
- Cucumber as a single ingredient can take care of many skin issues and ensures healthy, younger-looking skin. Due to its cooling properties, it is used as a natural toner and astringent. Due to 95% water content, application of cucumber made product leaves skin intact and well – moisturized and leaves the skin a glow.
- It is an easy way to get rid of excess or unwanted oil in skin.
- Cucumber juice is ideal as a cleanser to remove blemishes and acne
How to use Cucumber as a Face Wash
Put a few slices of cucumber in the juicer or mixer or blender. sieve and extract the juice or the puree. Now splash some juice or apply the thicker cucumber puree all over the face and neck and leave it to dry for 20 to 30 minutes. Wash well with cold water. This also cleanses out the clogged pores on the skin’s surface.
Other specific uses of Cucumber for Skin Care
- Pimples / Freckles: make a pack consisting of equal quantity of cucumber juice, lemon juice and mint juice. Apply it on your face to reduce pimple marks or scars. Application of fresh cucumber juice may also reduce freckles.
- Cucumber anti tan mask – Mix 2 tablespoons each of powdered oats, plain yogurt and cucumber juice. Apply it on face, wait for about 15 minutes and rinse it off with cold water. It not only helps remove tan but also improves the texture of the skin.
- Cucumber makes a good natural astringent lotion and toner. Thus it can be used to cleanse skin, skin pores and improve a dull greasy complexion. Grate or puree cucumber in a blender, sieve and extract the juice. Apply cucumber juice on your face and neck and leave it for 20 to 30 minutes and rinse well with cold water.
- Cucumber juice makes a useful ingredient for lightening the skin since it has the properties of natural bleach. Mix 3 portions of cucumber juice with one part of lemon juice and apply it on the face and neck leaving the eyes and lips. Let it be there for 10 to 15 minutes and wash off with cold water. Of course, the regular use of this face pack will yield better results.
- Due to its high water content (about 95%), cucumber has the properties to keep the skin intact and well moisturized. For hydrating your facial skin (in case your skin is dry) mix equal quantity of natural yogurt and cucumber juice. This not only helps in healing sunburn but also hydrates dry skin.
- Cucumber contains antioxidants and resolves inflammation on the skin smoothly. Mix equal quantity of raw milk and cucumber juice mixed and apply all over your face. This helps in soothing sun burnt skin.
- Regular application of fresh cucumber juice can reduce freckles .These face packs also prevent blackheads and dryness.
Cucumber for Beauty of Eyes
- Cut fresh cucumber slices and place one slice over each eye for ten minutes. You will feel relaxes as cucumber helps to draw the tiredness from your eyes.
- Cucumber slices are very useful in treating puffy eyes. Place cucumber slices on closed eyes and relax for 15 minutes. This will help in reduce water retention under the eyes which cause puffiness of eyes.
- Similarly, applying cucumber juice is helpful in getting rid of dark circles around the eyes.
Cucumber for Healthy and Shiny Hair
Cucumber is an excellent hair care ingredient as it is packed with essential nutrients like potassium, calcium, sulfur, silicon among others. This plays a vital role in promoting hair growth and keeping your hair healthy .
- Apply cucumber juice to your scalp, leave it for 15-20 minutes and wash it off with a good organic shampoo or a mixture of herbs – Shikkai and Amla.
- Drink a cup of cucumber juice or simply use it as a rinse with water. It helps to condition and repair dry, damaged hair.
Cucumber combined with olive oil and egg hair mask work together to repair damaged hair as well as to add bounce. For this take one egg, one fourth of peeled cucumber and some olive oil and blend them in a mixer. Once you get a fine mixture, apply it thoroughly on the scalp and all over your hair. Leave it for not more than 10 minutes and wash off with mild shampoo. This will leave your shiny and with a silky texture.
When you make your own beauty packs at home, you can be sure that you have used only all natural ingredients and they are cost effective. Go ahead and use this humble vegetable in your beauty regime!!!
Lemon juice contains a number of beneficial nutrients such as fruity acids and natural sugars. This helps to improve the health of the skin and body. Lemon can be used internally for many health benefits and as well as externally for many skin care products.
Here are some great uses of this great yellow fruit from care to beauty makeup:
Lemon for Shiny Nails
- Soak your nails in a small bowl of lemon juice for about 5 minutes and rinse them off with warm water. This will help nails to grow but will also remove any discoloration.
- Nail strengthener: Have you been getting too many manicures? Make a mixture of your favorite cooking oil (try coconut or olive oil) with lemon juice, and soak your nails. This is a good practice if your nails are dry and brittle, but it’s also a great way to help fix nails that have yellowed.
Lemon for Facial Skin Care
Lemon is incredibly useful for the skincare. The natural acids of lemon gently remove dead skin cells and lighten age spots. Lemon is also used for removing freckles and to clear facial discolorations. The acidity content of lemon juice absorbs the excess oil and cleans the pores without robbing the skin of its natural oil balance.
- For youthful skin, you can try a face pack consisting of pure sandalwood powder, fuller’s earth powder, cucumber juice and a few drops of lemon juice added to it. Apply it on your face and neck. Rinse it off after 15 minutes for a soft and glowing complexion.
- Take equal quantities of lemon juice, mint juice and cucumber juice and make a face pack. Its regular application can help to reduce pimple marks or scars.
- Take a lemon and slice it in half. Rub the juice all over your face and wait five minutes before rinsing it off with cold water. Lemons have antibacterial properties, so they’re perfect as a blackhead remedy.
- Lemon has awesome properties and lemon juice can be added to quite a few concoctions to create masks and use it straight. Rub lemon on age spots for a few weeks in the night and rinse in the morning. This will lighten the spots. Same treatment can be done on rough patches of skin, like elbows and knees to soften and brighten skin.
- Clarifying moisturizer: Mix well a few drops of coconut water and a few drops of lemon juice. This mixture is good for hydrating your skin and lemon juice will clear and brighten it.
Lemon as Natural Teeth Whitener
- Mix a pinch or two of baking soda and lemon juice, and apply it to your teeth with the tip of your finger. Use a toothbrush to scrub your teeth and rinse.
Lemon for Shiny Hair
- Cut 4 lemons and squeeze the juice into a mug, mix it with your regular hair conditioner – both about in the same quantity. Whisk them well with a fork. Pour over your hair and massage it in at the roots. Leave in for at about 2 hours and then wash it off to get shine back into your mane.
Lemon juice to clear Acne
- Take some fresh lemon juice and dilute it with some water. Apply it on the affected area with a cotton pad. Let it work for about fifteen minutes and then wash off with clean cold water. Regular usage of lemon juice helps in clearing acne and prevents them from coming back.
- Consume a glass of lemon in lukewarm water daily to clean your system internally and thus attain a glowing acne-free skin. You can also add honey to this mixture, to make it taste better.
- For detailed treatment of Acne and Pimple refer to: Homemade Remedies for Pimples
Did you know that many of the ingredients found in expensive, high quality skincare products are also found in the fruits that you are quite likely have in your kitchen or refrigerator? In fact knowledge about use of fruits, as a natural cosmetic and makeup ingredient should be spread more. In this section, you will find easy, natural, inexpensive, at home skincare and hair care treatments that you will love. Try these fruit packs and scrubs as organic cosmetics to give you a shining look with a clean face.
1. Lemon Sugar Scrub
Mix 2 cups of sugar and half cup of olive oil (or substitute it with almond oil / coconut oil) in a bowl and create a mixture which is not too runny. Add a bit of lemon juice – 2 tablespoons. You may also add a bit of honey but that is personal preference.
Scrub it gently all over your face till the sugar granules start to melt. You may also use it as a body scrub, if desired. It’s ideal for rough spots like feet, knees, elbows and hands. It’s also great for nail beds and cuticles. However, do not use the scrub over pimples or acne, as this could burst them.
Benefits: This helps in making the skin softer and fairer. Lemon and sugar work as exfoliation agents clean pores to make skin soft and smooth. Lemon as the best natural source of Vitamin C lightens the dark skin and evens out age spots. Lemon is also a natural astringent that tightens pores and brightens the complexion. The oil works to soothe and heal the skin while acting as a natural moisturizing ingredient with its anti-aging benefits.
2. Orange Peels
Orange peels are a natural beauty aid known to increase skin tone. Take orange slices and in a blender mix it up with a honey or curd, and then apply onto your face and apply to skin for 20 to 25 minutes to get amazing results. In this skin revitalizing orange peel pack, honey moisturizes and the orange juice exfoliates the dead skin cells away, stimulating new cell production.
3. Banana Face Pack
Banana is rich in iron, potassium and magnesium. Moreover, the Vitamin A in banana helps to get rid the dark spots and blemishes. Vitamin E present in the banana acts as Sun rays resistance, and wrinkle and free radical impairment will also be taken care of . Banana contains vitamin B that wash outs the old skin and prevents your skin from dryness. All these properties are also helpful in anti aging treatment besides making a good natural beauty treatment to keep our face and skin healthy.
So for better results start using the face mask of banana as given below:
Take 1/2 ripe banana and mash it, add 1 table spoon of honey. Mix the ingredients well. Apply the pack on the face and neck. Leave it till it dries and wash off with warm water and pat dry with a soft cotton cloth. Do this twice a week to get better results.
There are still many more more combinations and other fruits from your kitchen such as Papaya, Avocado, Tomato, Carrot etc. which make best ingredients for Natural Skincare and Organic Cosmetic.
Video: 3 Natural Beauty Products from Kitchen
Most us have tasted and consumed honey – sometimes in tea or in oatmeal or with lemon water or as it is. But did you know, honey is a beauty powerhouse. Honey is a natural antiseptic, a natural humectants, which means it maintains the moisture into your skin and hair, while fighting bacteria. It is also full of antioxidants, which are good for wrinkles and aging skin. It is antibacterial, which helps which helps in treating the pimple and acne problems and their prevention. Honey clarifies skin by opening up and unclogging pores.
Hence honey, especially raw, is a wonderfully versatile and a natural ingredient to use on skin. Legend has it that honey was Cleopatra’s preferred ingredient in her beauty store.
Try these easy recipes, made from honey, which will help to fight many hair and skin problems and an overall at-home spa and beauty salon like treatment.
1. Honey facial cleanser
Honey can be used for gently removing the makeup residue. Take one or two teaspoons of honey mix it with gentle oil such as jojoba or coconut oil to create an easily spreadable mixture. Rub it into your skin, avoiding eye area, to loosen makeup and unclog pores. Rinse with warm water.
2. Simple Honey Face Mask
Take about a spoon of honey. Pull your hair back, tying them with a head band or something. If you are wearing some makeup then do remove this please. If you are not using any make up then you may prefer to moisten your face with a little water before applying the honey, as this makes honey easier to spread.
Now apply honey with your finger tips all over your face and then smear the honey gently. Let it rest on your face from 10 minutes to 30 minutes. Rinse off with warm water, and then pat your face dry. You’ll be happy to discover a naturally younger skin – a treatment which will cost you a lot more time and money at a beauty salon.
3. Honey for a moisturizing and relaxing bath
Add one quarter cup of honey to your bath water and soak yourself in this water. This is an easy way to get relaxation and silky skin.
4. Honey almond body Cleansing Scrub
Mix 2 tablespoon of honey with 2 tablespoons finely ground almonds and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice to form a paste. Rub gently onto face in a circular motion.. Rinse off with warm water. Not only this scrub exfoliates the skin but also moisturizes the skin.
You may use it to treat your whole body by simply increasing the quantity.
5. Honey as Hair Conditioner
Mix 3 to 4 teaspoons of honey and 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Whip the mixture and apply a small amount at a time on and through hair until coated well. Cover hair with a shower cap; leave on 30 minutes. Remove shower cap; shampoo well and rinse. Dry as normal.
Turmeric (also popularly known as haldi in many parts of India and Pakistan), is one of Asia’s most widely used spices. It is a spice which has multiple uses. This yellow spice, which is part of the ginger family, is used to add colour, flavour and taste to the dish. Besides it has many health properties and is used in curing many diseases. On the top of it Turmeric has been used as Natural Beauty Product from Kitchen over the centuries. The secrets of turmeric as make up tips have been handed down from mother to daughter for generations.
Here are some make up tips which draw on the properties of turmeric that you can use to look beautiful. Not only you can get a good skin, flawless complexion, good hair but also cure some common problems. Perhaps this is the reason at the time of Indian weddings one of the most important function is the ceremony of applying a paste made of turmeric and other ingredients to the bride and the groom’s body. Being a natural organic cosmetic, turmeric has been known to contain numerous antioxidants as well as antibacterial properties. These are capable of giving you amazing benefits for your skin, hair and health.
1. Face mask for beautiful glowing skin
For this beauty face mask, mix 2 teaspoons sandalwood powder or freshly prepared paste from pure sandalwood bar, 2 teaspoons of fine turmeric powder, 5 to 6 teaspoons of chickpea flour (besan) with a little almond oil or ghee ( clarified butter). To make a consistent paste, add water and mix well.
Apply this mask and leave it until it dries and then wash off with water.
Even in the expensive beauty salons or spa, you will find a similar preparation when you ask for organic beauty product or natural skin treatment.
2. Facial Mask for Oily Skin
Turmeric regulates the production of sebum, an oily substance produced by the sebaceous glands. Hence is a face pack containing Turmeric is beneficial for oily skin.
For oily skin, make a paste by mix: 2 tablespoons of sandalwood paste (freshly prepared paste from pure sandalwood bar) + a pinch of ground turmeric + 4 tablespoons of orange juice. Apply it on your face and neck. Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes to let the face pack dry off and rinse off with lukewarm water. While sandalwood acts as an astringent and also gives nice cool feeling with a lovely smell, the vitamin C in orange juice, helps clear the blemishes
3. Turmeric Facial Pack for Dry Skin
Just like the beauty treatment for oily skin, you can make some face packs using turmeric for dry skin too.
Mix 1 egg white, 2 drops of olive oil, lemon juice freshly squeezed, a few drops of rose water and a pinch of turmeric powder. This can be applied to all dry skin areas on face, neck, elbows and knees. Leave the pack dry off completely and rinse off with lukewarm water.
Another pack for dry skin is to mix well 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon of milk powder and water to make a smooth pack of right consistency.
Apply for 10-15 min and then wash nicely.
4. Acne Treatment
In India, turmeric is an essential part of any beauty treatment not only at home but also when you visit the beauty salon for an herbal treatment. When applied to the skin as a paste or a face mask, the beneficial chemicals in turmeric are known to help in treating acne, eczema, rosacea and they aids in skin rejuvenation.
The anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties that turmeric has are important in treating Acne. Using facial masks soothes skin blemishes and heals acne scars.
For detailed treatment of Acne and Pimple refer to: Homemade Remedies for Pimples
5. Turmeric for Treatment of Wrinkles and Dark Circles
Wrinkles or Dark Circles? No problem. Now there is easy, effective and inexpensive beauty treatment available in your kitchen. Using turmeric along with other natural ingredients can manage your wrinkle woes
- Mix rice powder and turmeric powder with raw milk and tomato juice. Apply the paste and let it stay on face and neck for 15 to 20 minutes. Lactic acid present in milk will help peel off the dead skin cells.
- If you have dark circles, add a pinch of turmeric to 2 tablespoons of buttermilk and apply it around your eyes for 20 minutes. Rinse off with cool water. This is effective in eliminating wrinkles as well as dark circles.
- Turmeric-honey paste can be applied on the face and neck to help exfoliate skin and keep a check on pores.
6. Turmeric for treatment of Cracked Heels
Make a mixture of coconut oil and a bit of turmeric powder. Apply this on your cracked heels – the areas where your skin has become excessively dry. Not only does this heal the cracked heels faster, but it also helps to make the heels softer.
7. Treatment of Stretch Marks
Stretch marks can often become a problem for ladies. Turmeric, in combination with other ingredients, can help lighten stretch marks. To lighten stretch marks, mix besan (gram flour) and turmeric powder in equal quantities with yoghurt or milk or water. Apply this mixture on the stretch marks and kept until it dries completely. For good results, this mixture should be applied daily.
Famous Italian actress Sophia Loren (born 1934) believed there is an excellent beauty treatment and it costs absolutely nothing.
“Plenty of fresh air, a good walk and lots and lots of sleep, eight to ten hours is needed for sparkling eyes.”
Your kitchen and kitchen garden are possibly hidden beauty treasures are some for inexpensive yet natural beauty ingredients that could instantly take care your skin, hair and other beauty needs.
We are quite aware of how our grandmothers and great-grandmothers used herbs, flowers and fruits for their beauty recipes for preparing potions and creams. All you need is to re-introduce yourself to the grandma’s secret make up tips. We live in the age of information and we need a bit of change of our habits to look beautiful naturally with organic beauty products prepared fresh at home.
Also, if you’re a busy lady (working professional / or just a mother in general!), then it’s likely you don’t have time for visiting beauty salon for days. But that’s no reason to ignore your beauty treatments or not look beautiful. Probably you already have more than enough of the needed ingredients – right in your kitchen for having your own at-home spa!
Do try these make up tips, share these tips with your friends and give your comments below.