Beauty begins with a beautiful face. Who does not want a good looking face? First thing people notice about you is the quality and condition of your skin. That is why you love your skin, your skin is your friend. But despite the good looks there is a fun spoiler and that is the unwelcome guest on the face. Yes you guessed it right, it is the pimples or the acne. Pimples can make a person feel miserable due to their appearance. Hence we bring you some simple and well tried Homemade Remedies for Pimples and Acne.
Therefore, read on till the last and also do watch an interesting video in this blog.
The problem of Pimples is something that many of us have experienced or continue to tolerate throughout our lives. While the manifestation of pimples begin at the age of 13 to 15 and teenagers suffer the most from acne because of the increased hormone levels in their body, some people have pimples on their face, back, chest, scalp and shoulders even up to the middle age.
What is a Pimple ?
Though a normal skin condition, pimples affect many people. When the sebaceous glands (oil glands) there are an inflammation of the skin become infected with bacteria, swell up, and fill with pus. Though not a critical condition, excess sebum secretion is the main cause behind this problem.
Your isn’t at fault here-it can’t help that
What causes Pimples or Acne ?
Don’t blame epidermis, it is your hormones that are causing the extra sebum to clog up your pores, or the fact that bacteria is running out of control. Pimples or Scarlet Pimpernel or Acne is a common skin problem that can affect people of all ages. It may be caused by any or more than one reasons such as Sleep deprivation, too much stress, and unhealthy eating habits. Even a hectic lifestyle can also trigger appearance of acne.
- Build up of dead skins build up
- Puberty or Teenage Pimples
- Rubbing the skin
- Dairy Products and High Glycemic Foods
- Medicines – sometimes
- Sleeping with the makeup on and not removing it
The cure or remedies for pimples
Any normal teenager who is concerned for her pimple problem would think that she has done everything to shut the door on pimples, spots or zits and then they resurface, usually at the most inopportune time. Is there a good and reliable cure?
Although there is no definitive cure in the medical science, yet the cosmetic market is full of products in the form of creams, lotions and some medicines and potions too which promise to help you get rid of pimples. They can be expensive too. But are these 100% effective to treat pimples? I’d rather let you answer that but the hint is that if the pimple fighting cosmetics were so effective then you would not have been reading this blog.
Homemade remedies for pimples
Other Natural Remedies:
There are many natural methods that are effective in treating pimples in a short period of time. These ingredients can be found in your kitchen which can help you prevent or minimize the problem, that’s why it’s called homemade remedies for pimples.
Here are the top ways to get rid of pimples fast or prevent them from reappearing on your skin:
Steaming the face is the best way to start a facial treatment.
It is a basic, do it yourself treatment, when you have pimples. The steam will open your pores, get rid of oils, dirt and bacteria trapped in and make your skin to breathe. Naturally it will help fight the infection and inflammation.
- Fill a large container with two-thirds of hot water and allow the steam to come in contact with your face for a few minutes.
- You may like to add some natural acne healing remedies like essential oils or whole herbs to the water.
- Drape a large enough towel over your head which can cover your entire head and also hang over the sides.
- Allow the steam and natural acne treatment to saturate your skin, penetrating any existing acne, for 5 minutes.
- Rinse your face with lukewarm water and, after drying, apply an oil-free moisturizer.
Just as ice is applied on the swelling such as a sprained ankle, ice can be used to quickly reduce the redness, swelling and inflammation of acne. Also ice helps in improving blood circulation to the affected area, and in tightening the skin pores and removing dirt and oil accumulated on the skin.
- Wrap ice cubes or crushed ice in a clean, cotton cloth and gently press it on the affected area for a few seconds.
- Do this 2 – 3 times a day and you are likely to get rid of pimples within two days.
Always apply ice wrapped in a clean cloth and never apply ice directly on your skin as it can cause an ice burn.
One of the simplest and easiest ways to get rid of pimples is the use of lemon. Lemon is rich with properties which can help not fight the pimples but also use for diminishing scars, skin lightening, blackheads removal etc. Lemons are naturally rich in vitamin C as they contain citric acid which gives them an astringent quality. Lemons have antibacterial properties and are natural skin exfoliator.
Methods of using Lemon to fight Pimples and Acne:
Squeeze the juice of a lemon segment onto a saucer. Dip a piece of cotton wool into lemon juice, apply the juice directly onto the pimple and leave it overnight.
You can also mix some cinnamon powder with lemon juice with and put it on the pimples in the night. In the morning, wash the skin well with lukewarm water.
It is best to do this treatment at night as lemon will make the skin photosensitive to sunlight and may cause the skin to become irritated or damaged.
Next time you eat oranges or make fresh orange juice, do not consign orange peels to the garbage bin. Did you know that orange peels contain nutrients and phytonutrients that are extremely beneficial to the skin. No wonder, orange peel extract is an ingredient in many beauty products today because of its effectiveness in brightening skin and reducing acne.
It can heal many skin conditions because it is full of Vitamin C, Calcium and Dietary fiber. Calcium is very good for the skin, as it contributes in renewing worn out skin cells and preventing DNA damage.
- Dry out orange peels in the sun .
- Grind the dried orange peel into a powder form.
- Mix this powder with enough water to make a paste.
- Wash your face and hands with warm water
- Apply the orange peel paste to problem areas and leave it on your face for about 15 minutes or until dry.
- Wash orange peel powder off with cool water and dry your face. Repeat this process for at least 15 days.
At first this idea may not appeal you at all. You may even run away from the smell of raw garlic. But we all know that fresh or raw garlic has loads of beneficial properties. Garlic has sulphur and has antimicrobial properties which are helpful in the healing process.
You may cut a clove or two into two halves and apply on pimples. Alternatively, smash up a clove to extract some juice and apply to the pimple. Another option is to mix a little garlic pulp with honey into a paste and apply it.
Leave the application for three to five minutes and then wash the skin with lukewarm water.
Repeat the process a few times a day. Some people also recommend eating one raw garlic clove daily as it helps purify blood. But avoid consuming too much garlic as it can upset the stomach.
However, be careful, the garlic juice may cause skin irritations on sensitive skin.
CINNAMON and HONEY MASK
You may wonder about the combination – since honey is sticky, and cinnamon is spicy. But don’t worry your skin needs both things. Cinnamon has antimicrobial properties. This helps stop bacteria growth from spreading further, while honey is a natural anti-biotic known to mankind for ages. Hence honey and cinnamon pack make a great combo.
All you have to do is make a paste by mixing 2 tablespoons of honey 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Rinse your face with water and pat dry. Apply the mask to your face (or spot treat) and leave on for 10-15 minutes. Rinse off completely, and pat your face dry. See the difference.
Potato is not just a vegetable, it has many other benefits too which may not have heard of before. Potatoes have been applied to bruises and wounds for a long time. Potatoes have antioxidants which nourish the skin and encourage the healthy growth of new skin cells. Potatoes are also loaded with potassium, sulfur, phosphorus, and chloride – the compounds which can help reduce irritating blemishes. It has anti-inflammatory properties besides being antiseptic; potatoes contain niacin, which may help lighten acne marks.
Wash your face with water and pat almost dry, leaving it a bit damp.
Grate 1 raw potato and apply the pulp and juice of the shredded white onto your face for a few minutes in a circular motion. Like a mask, leave it dry for 15-30 minutes, and then rinse off completely with warm water.
You may apply a dab of some white toothpaste over the affected skin area before going to bed to treat pimples. In the morning, wash your face with water and you will see a significant improvement in the swelling. It can be done during the daytime also, as long as you are willing to let the toothpaste sit on your pimple area for at least half an hour or more.
Yes, it is the toothpaste that you use to clean your teeth. Note that it is the white toothpaste and not the gel toothpaste which is recommended. The white part has the baking soda and hydrogen peroxide as the ingredients that help deal with pimple.
Once again be careful if you have sensitive skin then it may break out in a rash.
Tea leaves contain a chemical called flavonoid which is supposed to be not only anti aging but have the property of skin lightening. Simply boil a spoon of tea leaves till they open up fully. Next you have to allow it to cool, add brown sugar in it and mix some cream in it to make a paste. Apply it over your face or the affected area in a circular motion for a few minutes. After leaving it for some time, wash it off with plain water. You will notice a softer and glowing facial skin.
Some studies conducted in 2011, 2012 (Journal of Investigative Dermatology) have shown that green tea may have a noticeable impact on acne when used externally. Of course, green is good overall but its properties to help fight pimples has less concrete evidence. In brief, there is an antioxidant present in green tea by the name epigallocatechin-3-gallate or EGCG. This chemical is said to reduce sebum production, inflammation, and bacterial growth in acne-prone skin.
Here is how you can use the green tea:
- Wash your face with tap water, and pat dry with a soft clean towel.
- Take 1 green tea bag or equivalent quantity of loose green tea leaves and pour boiling water over them.
- Wait for about 5 minutes, strain the leaves out. Let the brew cool to a comfortable temperature.
- Freeze the liquid in an ice tray.
- Apply the green tea ice cube on the pimple. It is also excellent for under eye puffiness
- Alternatively, you may like to pour the liquid into a spray bottle and spray lightly on your face.
- Rinse it off with cool water
Of course, you can also drink a cup or two of green tea every day to detoxify.
TEA TREE OIL
You may wonder that if it is an oil then why recommend it for acne? Would this oil not clog the pores further and aggravate the acne break out? Simply put, tea tree oil is more like a solvent that cuts through the extra sebum and dead skin cells, and clears the pores. It also has antibacterial properties that blast the microbes inside the pores and the acne, thus preventing further outbreaks.
Tea tree oil has anti-inflammatory properties help reduce the redness and inflammation of pimples. It can make the redness and size of the pimple less noticeable. In addition, it has soothing properties and it also helps dry out blackheads and whiteheads.
- Wash your face with water and pat dry.
- Dilute tea tree oil by mixing 1 part oil to 9 parts water. Another option, especially if you have sensitive skin, is to dilute it with aloe vera gel instead of water.
- Apply the mixture to the affected areas with a Q-tip or cotton swab.
- Rinse your face after 15 to 20 minutes.
- It should never be applied undiluted. You can apply a light moisturizer afterwards if you wish.
- Do not use tea tree oil if you have sensitive skin.
Due to a number of beneficial properties of Turmeric, it is effective in the treatment of pimples and acne. Turmeric is known to be having chemicals with antiseptic and antibacterial properties that fight pimples and breakouts to provide a glowing skin.
Applying face masks where Turmeric is an important ingredient helps to heal acne but also clear scars and removes inflammation. Turmeric also controls the oil secretion by the sebaceous glands.
Here is a face pack which can be easily prepared. Mix a teaspoon each of turmeric powder and sandalwood powder and add fresh lemon juice to it. Apply the paste it on your face for 10 to minutes and wash it off with lukewarm water. You may also add a few drops of rosewater which will help lighten the spots too.
For acne scars, apply a mixture of turmeric and plain water on the marks for 15 minutes.
Video: Homemade Remedies for Pimples and Acne
Lifestyle Tips to Prevent Pimples
Prevention is better then cure always. So, it is better to keep our body and skin in good shape always by following healthy routine. Following a balanced and a healthy lifestyle can largely prevent re-occurrence of pimples and related skin issues. Here are some general tips:
- Move towards a healthy and a balanced diet.
- Save your skin from the onslaught of pollution.
- Develop a habit of not only cleaning the skin, but nourishing it.
- Don’t get stressed up, do yoga, meditation and relaxation exercises.
- Exercise regularly.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Take sound sleep, at least 8 hours in a single phase – this will keep your body healthy and skin glowing.
- Fruits that are rich in fibres are generally good for skin, fruits help in combating skin problems and digestion.
- Change your pillow cover often.
- Reduce the amount of oily creams, cosmetics and other make up lotions on your face. Keep in mind the more cosmetics you lead, you’ll have to use more and more cosmetics to clean up more and more ace. It can lead to a vicious cycle!
Please keep in mind not to use these remedies if your skin is sensitive or is allergic to these natural products.
These are homemade remedies with no claims whatsoever, so it is best to consult your skin specialist or medical doctor before trying them.
Your feedback please
Thank you for taking the time to read this blog! I hope it was of use to you on your quest of acne extermination. If you have any concerns or suggestions, please use the comment section below! Also do share!